The formula for FourThieves* is a very powerful and synergistic blend of five essential oils: Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata and Rosemary. The recipe for this blend of oils is believed to have originated from thieves during the Middle Ages. According to the story, the concoction was created by a group of four thieves and grave robbers to protect themselves from contracting the plague while robbing the bodies of the gravely ill and deceased. When apprehended, the thieves admitted to using the oils and disclosed the formula in order to receive a less severe punishment for their crimes.
We don’t know whether or not this story is true, but the essential oils are antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-infectious. They will stimulate the immune system, circulation and respiratory system, and help protect against the flu, colds, bronchitis, pneumonia, sore throats, cuts, and more. Modern testing has also proven the effectiveness of this blend and studies have found it to have a high kill rate against airborne bacteria.
This is a classic recipe, but you can customize it by adjusting the quantities or adding other antibacterial essential oils such as Tea Tree, Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Ravensara, Lavender, Juniper Berry, Hyssop, Bay Laurel, or Scotch Pine.
•40 drops organic Clove Bud essential oil
•35 drops organic Lemon essential oil
•20 drops organic Cinnamon Bark essential oil
•15 drops organic Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil
•10 drops organic Rosemary essential oil
~ Mix all essential oils together in a dark glass bottle.
There are many ways that you can use the blend, here are some of the most common applications:
- To sanitize and purify the air in your home or workplace, place 2-3 drops of the essential oil blend in a diffuser, nebulizer, or in a pot of simmering water on the stove. Diffuse for approximately 20-30 minutes. This is especially beneficial if someone in your home or workplace is sick.
- Make an antibacterial all-purpose spray for cleaning and disinfecting your home or workplace. This is perfect for kitchen counters, office spaces and shared areas! Fill a spray bottle with water and add 1 drop of the essential oil blend for each ounce of water. Spray on countertops, desks, and on other surfaces. Make sure to shake before using as the oil and water will naturally separate. (unless you use an emulsifier, see below).
- Use the above combination (1 drop of essential oil blend to each ounce of water in a spray bottle) on insect bites, poison oak, and poison ivy rashes. It reduces inflammation, pain, itching, and irritation.
- Mix 1-2 drops of the essential oil blend with 4 oz organic carrier oil such as Calendula or other mild oil. Use as a massage oil for sore muscles, the lower back, neck, and feet. It can also be dabbed on skin throughout the day for general cold and flu prevention and immune support.
- When congested, mix 1 drop of the essential oil blend with 4 oz organic Calendula Infused Oil, and rub under the nose or on the chest. Or, place 1-2 drops in a bowl of hot, steaming water and inhale the vapors under a towel to relieve congestion.
This is a fun and practical essential oil blend to make. If you don’t want to make it yourself, Agape LaVie has it available formulated and bottled for purchase.
*FourThieves Essential Oil Blend 15 ml $17
*Available for purchase on the Personal Care products tab.
*The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
*Thieves is a registered trademark of Young Living LLC. We are not associated in any way with Young Living LLC.